Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Hypochondria at its best

Little man was unwell over the weekend and led to him having 2 days off school this week.  On Monday, we had a doctor's appointment to just check that we were doing all we could to get well again.

Luckily we were able to see our family doctor, who has been Callum's doctor since he was 5 months old.  Dr Chris came out and called Callum's name. As he walked in to the office, Callum announces "I not feeling well." He takes the chair closest to the table (he usually makes a beeline for the toy box and the train in it). It went something like this.

Dr Chris: So you're not feeling well?
Callum: No I have a bad belly.
Dr: What about your ears? Any sore ears?
C: No, but this one on the other side is sore.
Dr: Ok well I can check that. (Looking over at me, 1st I'd heard of it) What about your throat?
C: Yes my throat is sore too. (Again Dr looking at me, shaking my head, gives a knowing wink)
Dr: Ok, let's take your temperature first.
C: Yes I very hot. (temp normal)
Dr: Let's check your ears. (all clear)  And your throat - say ah! Yep stick your tongue out. (all clear, no redness)  Ok, can you hop up on the table so I can check your tummy?
C: Ok. (leaps up on table)
Dr: I'm just going to lift your t-shirt and feel your belly. (Callum is in fits of laughter) Are you ticklish?
C: Yes (imagine child trying to lie very still, he looks stiff with his hands by his side but absolutely giggling his head off)

Absolutely hilarious watching Callum giggle and try and stay still, tummy all feels normal.

Dr: You can hop down now. (still giggling madly, practically falls off table)
C: Hey, that table was up too high

As Dr Chris and I sum up what to do, Callum decides to introduce his imaginary penguin friend who "beaks" Dr Chris. More fits of laughter.

I love that we have been able to have the same doctor for so long for Callum. When he was little we had to police grip him for the doctor to do anything. Now he likes to have all the possible medical tests he can - ears, throat and chest.

Very happy with his visit, Callum waved goodbye to Dr Chris, walks out to the waiting room and loudly announces "I all better now."  As we move to the counter, one gentleman replies "I want that doctor."


No comments:

Post a Comment